Friday, September 5, 2008

What an Amazing Sight!!!!

The big thing at RME this year it seems are the caterpillars...and it may not be all over the school but in my classroom and the one next door. Some students brought some in and it has been really cool watching them crawl around and do their thing. Some of them have even already made their cocoons and we are patiently waiting for the butterflies.

Well, in my room I have 2 caterpillars in a jar in my room that a student brought in and Chris and I got to experience the neatest thing with one of the Tiger Club classes. They were both hanging from the top of the jar in their neat little J...I had been told that this was a sign that they were getting ready to create their cocoons. I had been watching them off and on all day just waiting...not really wanting to miss it.

Amazingly, after school, Chris and I were talking when I decided to get up and check the caterpillars and lo and behold...one of them was just wiggling all over the place in its little J shape...then I saw it...the green started to come around it's body!!!! HOW AMAZING! The Tiger Club class came over from next door and we all (Chris and I included) watched it turn from a caterpillar into a cocoon!!!! HOW COOL! I'm still amazed at what I saw.

I know...some of you may be sitting out there kind of shaking your head and wondering where in the world I came from to think this is so cool...but it really was! I never saw anything like this when I was in school and for Chris to see it actually happen was better than any science lesson. He is STILL talking about it! :)

Now we are just waiting...Chris is now very anxious for the butterflies to emerge...he is convinced that he will be able to see it actually come out of the cocoon...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can be that lucky!!!!

No comments: