Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Taking the Time Together...

So tonight Greg and I had to go our separate ways with various kiddos...Greg went to his meeting at church with Daniel and Kate and I got to go with Chris to his t-ball game. I decided that after the game Chris and I would get a treat and go hang out at the lake together. We have a gorgeous lake just outside of town and it was the perfect place for us to share our treat together!

Chris decided that he would like to have a shake so we went through Sonic and got 2 strawberry shakes and proceeded out to the lake. We went to a place at the lake called the Point...it is a little piece of land that sticks out into the lake. We sat on some rocks and just talked. I have such a neat 5 year old. He was full of things to talk about...everything from school to his friends to his ideas on napping after summer school! :) He is such a great kid and sometimes I think I forget to listen carefully to what he has to say and maybe that is what leads to some of his frustration as well as mine sometimes!

Well, after we drank our shakes we skipped some rocks (he tried so hard and he was so close to getting it right!!!!) and tossed some larger rocks in...then we played on the playground that was right there. What a great night...so calming, so relaxing, a great time to just spend some one on one time with my oldest kiddo.

I often worry that he gets lost in our family of five...that we expect him to be too grown up at times and that we expect him to help out too much and that we sometimes don't listen to what he has to say. Times like this though show me that he is a well rounded, smart boy with so much to offer. He's all boy in what he likes to play and do...he can be bossy and temperamental at times but what kid isn't??? He loves his family more than anything and he values his friendships just as much! He talked a lot tonight about his friends and their families...especially his best buddy in the whole world...he talked about how much he thinks she is great (for a girl!) and that he hopes they are friends forever...I have never heard him talk about the future before...it's always been the here and now as kids tend to think.

So I guess to make a long post short...my little man is growing up....and it is definitely a neat process to watch and experience. What an amazing little guy I have for a son!